Thursday 2 June 2016

How I Surprised My Brothers Last Rakhi – The Special Twist

Rakhi is a popular festival in North India, though now it is celebrated in every part of India. I live in USA, and I see Indians celebrating Rakhi here as well. It is a festival that celebrates the love of a brother and sister, a bond that is hard to explain.

Historically, Rakhi was sent to kings and rulers by ranis to seek their protection. Sisters tie Rakhi around the wrist of their brothers who in turn vow to protect them from all sorts of dangers. It is a day dedicated to all brothers and sisters and the love and respect they have for the relationship they share. Rakhi holds a very special place in every North Indian’s heart and this would only be understood by someone who has siblings. There are women who have brothers not related by blood, but share a relationship that as pure as real brothers and sisters. Such people also celebrate Raksha Bandhan.


Rakhi has been special in my family and it was more special to me as I was the only sister with two elder brothers. So, you very well can understand how pampered I was when I was young. I eagerly used to wait for Rakhi right from the beginning of the New Year. I was more excited about Rakhi than diwali, as I used to get showered with gifts on this day. One of my brothers is elder to me by 8 years and our eldest sibling is elder to me by 10 years.By the time I understood the real meaning of Rakhi, my brothers were earning.


Being the most pampered amongst the three, I always got what I wanted. I still remember, I got a scooty as my Rakhi gift, when I was about to turn 18. The list of gifts I got is never ending. Rakhi 2015 was my first Rakhi away from home - I am doing in Masters in USA. I was far away and was feeling home sick but there was no way I could go back. I talked my family every day; thanks to video call applications. But it did not seem enough for Rakhi. I wanted to make it special for by brothers just like they made it special for me all these years.

I was checking the internet and I came across Rakhi.in, a site which aims at connecting brothers and sisters divided by distance. I was so happy seeing the collection of this site. This site offers Rakhi delivery in India, and I thought this is the best thing that I can do to surprise my brothers. I ordered silver Rakhis www.rakhi.in/silver-rakhi.html along with chocolates and sweets (my brothers love laddus and gulabjamun) and sent them across my home. I had told my mother already about this so that she could capture my brothers’ expression on receiving Rakhi and gifts from me all the way from USA.

They received it on the day of Rakhi itself and the joy I saw on their face made my day. It brought tears to their eyes and I could control mine as well. Thanks to Rakhi.in I could celebrate Rakhi even by being so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment